Friday, April 29, 2011

Rainbows are awesome too...

Weddings ..everyone is getting married. Hurray for me. Covered one this past week. You gotta appreciate the diverse cultures we have in Kenya. A Masaai and a Samburu…what!! The pulsating chants and almost synchronized trade mark jumping was simply breath taking. The groom was Samburu and the Bride Masaai. Garden weddings..a photographers answered prayer…only if it doesn’t rain though. Pomp and color…love sparkled in their eyes. They were truly and madly in love.










Speaking of, the Royal wedding is on today, and it’s the entire buzz. Frankly, I don’t see what the fuss is all about….just heard on the radio, a guy, in England of course…tattooed the royal couple’s portrait on his teeth at an estimated cost of about 1,000 quid (Kenyan shillings 120,000) …c’est bizarre!! I wish Prince William and Kate all the happiness…and long live the Queen.

Masaais. You gotta admire their spirit. The mention of them conjures thoughts of club wielding nomadic herdsmen, who slay lions. If you had a Masaai watchmen, then you rested assured that no thug in their correct state of mind would even think of robbing your compound. So, am at this hardware in Ngong…a place where Masaais thrive..and this shuka (traditional Masaai attire, comprising of a long clothe wrapped around and fastened by a belt) dawned Masaai..yes, with a club, made his way in. The club was uniquely customized, with a bohemian metal nut as the head. So he comes over the counter and he has these outrageous cork-bottle spectacles and asks if the owner could spare some few nails for his rungu (club). The owner is more than obligatory and gives the fellow.

Jusi, mwisi nakuja iba kioo ya gari…mimi napata, alafu nakat kata..alafu napiga rungu…alafu nakata tena..(‘the other day a thug came to steal the window of a car..I found him and cut him good with my machete…I hit him with my club…and then cut him some more..’) “ , he says..and we just looked at him with morbid shock and dumbfoundedness. He takes a stone and drives the nails in the club, fastening the nut. He hobbles away, chanting a Masaai tune,,,,crazy.



Rainbows. Don’t they just give you that warm cuddly feeling.. I love rainbows..yes, that didn’t come out at all quire…but I do. Just reminds me of my days in primary school with my extremely petite, rubber-band waist shorts. I hated umbrellas and had to persevere the unmerciful rainy days. And then, just after a heavy pour…a rainbow, it stirred something in me that I can’t explain…rainbows.

Always look for rainbows..after a heavy storm of disappointments, anger, rejection, depression…after the storm is over,,,I bet the rainbow appears .. appreciate it..even if it is only for a little while.

No comments:

Post a Comment