Friday, April 22, 2011

...Life Lessons..

I  never absolutely ever cry at weddings,,,but being a photographer…it is sort of an occupational hazard, especially if it’s your sister that is getting married. Sure there is always the “No, I think I got something  in my eye,” ..or “I think it’s a gas leak”. But seeing my sister getting hitched. Wow. Wish her all the happiness..or else I’ll break the guy’s legs…am just saying.



The wedding was amazing, months of planning to this single day. I think I got bitten by the forgetful bug coz I kept forgetting stuff. First were the receipts for my sister’s wedding gifts. I had to go back home about 26 or so kilometers again to get and head t town get the gifts and back at the wedding. Secondly, that accursed car decided to auto-lock itself with the car keys inside, locking me out. Yes, had to do another 26 KMs to get the spare key. I could tell you the rest….but I just cant remember :-]



You get these lectures on how short life is and how you should live I to the fullest and all that jazz, but the hardest life lesson I got recently was saying good bye to my niece. My cousin had complications with her pregnancy and miscarried on her 8th month. She lost her baby, my niece. She will never feel the sun on her skin, or the wind in her hair, she will never be heart-broken by some jerk or get a cold. She could have been anyone…a Nobel peace prize laureate, president of a country, a photographer like her uncle, a dancer or the first African to go to the moon. All these and more…my niece. I shall live every day for her, live more, love more, certainly eat more and appreciate life more…my niece. She taught me more to about life than anyone.



I love Swahili delicacies. The herbs and spices, the rich aroma of the food. What’s not to love? I took I upon myself to quest for the best made pilau (spiced rice with either goat meat or beef) and I have found such a place….in Kibera. The reputation of it being the biggest informal settlement in East and Central Africa, supersedes it. It’s intimidating, but once you get here, the fear of someone stealing your wallet by just looking at you..are all unfoundedly ridiculous. That’s not Kibera. The folks here are hard working and industrious…even if there are on the lower scale, they are by far the most happiest and content folks I’ve come across. The pilau, man it was so good.



It’s Easter, and I got no plots. I absolutely don’t have anywhere to go. But that has never stopped me, am taking my gal out today. Aint she a beauty. Even if gas prices are how they are, she always good to me…when she is not braking down on the side of the road and stuff.



Parting words. Stop “not” living your life. It is painfully short. Stop living with regrets. Stop wishing and start acting. Stop procrastinating and be a doer. “What’s the worst that can happen…” my Nigerian friend always says. Live it.


2 comments:

  1. lovely job Juma.. very impressive.. happy Easter to you..

    ReplyDelete
  2. at times we gotta wash our eyes with tears its good and healthy....lol..
    lovely though

    ReplyDelete