Thursday, January 20, 2011

..CLOUDY, WITH A CHANCE OF "CHICKEN"..

..I stared into her eyes..those beady eyes. And it was just me and her. As my brain tried to fathom the situation, my heart tried to make its way from my stomach. It hasn’t beat that fast since that day I overtook that Land Rover vogue on Lang’ata road…adrenaline. My eye still twitches.

But here we are now. She is making uneasy strides, trying to find her footing. The trauma clearly has passed for her, me on the other hand…well, am still me. This is down town Nairobi, I mean, you don’t see her kind here not unless you are in a restaurant. But she was here. And to think she almost crushed me falling from where ever!!!

So I look up, and no one seems to be the least bit interested in her. So I just edge off, clearly, missed a bullet..again. as if on cue, she makes a ran for it, I could have sworn she had a smile on her face, as to say “I am freeeee” . what in blazes is a chicken doing running around in the middle of the city center. If I had passed by a few seconds earlier, that chicken could have crushed me…not really me, but my self esteem. Can you imagine, someone asking me, “Ohh, so where did you get those scratches on your face??” and me replying..” It was a wild chicken. And I think it had rabies”. Not!!! But, am just glad I walked away with nothing more than adrenaline withdrawal and distaste for anything with feathers.

“Lancelot, I am going to kill you!!!”. Am chasing after our dog and he in turn chasing our cat, Chowder. Don’t ask me about the names, I love cartoons, so who doesn’t. I don’t need to explain myself to you!!. Chowder scampers away and athletically climbs a wall, and does that hissing thing cats do. Lancelot is just below it and barking ferociously. I get to where they are and Lance just looks at me, with those big brown eyes, and I am not mad at him anymore. He always gets me with those eyes!! From that time he chewed off one side of my trousers, to when he always pees on the Hummers’ wheels when I get home, even when he steals my socks from the line, he has a power over me and I think he knows it. There is just no getting mad at that dog. Biscuit on the other hand, I feel no love, that dog is the embodiment of psychosis. Can’t count the number of times I had to go change in the morning just because of him jumping on me with those paws. And then there is Spot, the lady. She never seems to bother with Chowder, but occasionally likes chasing bicycles salesmen. One big crazy family.

It seems everyone is getting married. Great news all round, I know those are photography gigs right there. So get married, go ahead!!! But m happy for my pals, I wish them happiness, good health and tolerable in-laws. Am off to take the sunset at my favorite spot, so I won’t leave you with any insightful quotes or epiphany moments..just to tell you this, enjoy life més amis.

1 comment: