Thursday, January 13, 2011

ATTACK OF THE KILLER BEES ....


First week of January, and I must admit, it still hasn’t sunk in that I am in the New Year. So, went to Mombasa and Lamu for my holidays, and funny how most “clubs” and “resorts” had end year shings, the ooh so cliché beach parties and yet they didn’t have a beach in the first place. But Mombasa is simply amazing, it’s like their days comprise of 28 hours while the rest of us poor saps have the normal one. Life is slow and good, and the best part is…you (ladies included, sic) get to walk around bare chest and nobody gives you as much as a look. Life was good.

Fast forward to the start of the week. Now, my hummer, being the drama queen she always is, refused to start. My complimentary gestures of how awesome she is and the good wipe down and waxing didn’t help at all. She just wouldn’t start!!! Had to elicit the help of a pro, so I called my mech, Peter. After a hard look, he translated what the Hummer was trying to communicate..”I am out of fuel, you Idiot ”. A trip to the gas station latter and she came to life. Could the day get any better than that…apparently not…

So I am somewhere along Ngong road and it is hard not to notice everyone is staring at my freakishly long goatee…mmmh. Oh well, crossing the road, I think to myself…maybe I could dye it blonde, naaa…bzzzz..STING!!…pain, pain, more pain…few drops of pee…pain!!! Out of no where, this giant bee (I swear it was like the size of a basketball) stings me on the nose!!! I am temporarily blinded on the right side of my face, and warm moisture flows from my eyes..it is important to note at this time that it was not tears…but am walking aimlessly, disoriented and the cars hooting at me aren’t helping the situation. I get to the other side and blindly make my way to this lady..who sort of resembled this cross eyed nurse who repeatedly missed my vain at this hospital…and asked her to pull the sting out from my nose. She was modified!! Eventually she worked up some courage and pulled it out.

If you ever have been stung by a bee, you would know the pain doesn’t stop there. The poison is now spreading through my nose, and I am drooling like a sick dog, and have the oddest craving for pickles…I eventually get to a pharmacy and get some anti-histamine. Bee 1 – Man 0.

We all have the unexpected bee sting to the nose that reminds us that some misfortunes, however unpredictable, are inevitable. But it’s how you come out of it that really matters. I may have gotten a war wound that I will in avertedly show off to my grand kids, but I got a valuable lesson about life…that it is twisted!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment