Tuesday, May 17, 2011

From Kisumu...with love..

So if you call me and I take a considerable amount of time to pick your call….am not ignoring you….blame it on this “bollywood” theme song I got as a ring-tone. Every time my phone rings, I just have to get my dance on. Its just irresistible…Punjabi MC, totally rocks.

Kisumu. The source of my river of life. My origin. I went there this week and it’s just magical. The sleepy town of Usenge on a wet Tuesday morning. Bare-footed school kids with patched bottom shorts litter the roads. Funny story, behind their bare-footedness. Rural schools, from our area, to my knowledge, don’t allow primary school kids to wear shoes to school. Why, you ask. Get this, because by them doing so, shows some level of disrespect to the teachers. How is it disrespectful to cover your toes from the elements? Messed up!!







But I immensely enjoyed my short stay there. Saw my aunt as well. She even found me afew lasses to court. She told me she was devastated that I am still single and yet there were well mannered girls..with all teeth..there in Kisumu. Noted. My aunt, the sales person she is, introduced me to the pros of her selections of would be brides and glazed over the cons. She even tried to bait me with “the way to a mans heart is through their stomach” cliché, telling me that I would have home cooked meals everyday at the appropriate meal intervals and have my clothes washed meticulously…even them hard to wash denims. Hehehe city chicás…beat that.

Aah yes. Ethiopian Fridays. My novelty weekly shing. Ethiopian is simply…wow. Went there this Friday and as ususal. Blown away by the splendid cuisine and gourmet coffee. I like. Am pretty much full when I make way to the center and this guy stops me and he looks like he’s been in a fight with a knife…and the knife won!! He gives me the usual story of not eating for a whole week, and he jut needs some money for food. The pungent smell of days old liquor still on his breath and my eyes were burning from the stench of cigarettes from his breath. I know this guy will immediately get a smoke the minute I give him some chumz, but who am I to judge. I think that’s where we go wrong, assumptions. So I decided to give him the benefit of doubt and give him some loose change. Guy immediately smiles, almost saying “sucker” as he walks away. Guess I am a sucker in some way.

But am I really, for always trying to see the good in people or having a glass half full perspective?? Spread a little good today, where ever you are. Sure, you definitely don’t get anything in return but who knows what a little goodness can do. Ya’ll have a good one.

1 comment: