Saturday, March 26, 2011

....the irony that is life..

I hate funerals. I really do. They are the most depressing jobs I get. Its funny though, I was sharing with someone one once and told her that I have done more funerals than any other jobs. Her reaction was nothing short of  a mixture of shock and disbelief, that we Kenyans take “photos” at funerals. Huh..irony. but why do we do that.. take photos at funerals I mean. A reminder of how the day was, a contestant ingrained recollection of the moment our loved ones were buried…sad.



But this one funeral I did, to me was about the unforgiving cycle of the human life. You were born in this world and you will leave this world…along with everything you worked so hard and tirelessly to gain. Fame and fortune, friends and foes..all of it. So this funeral, the deceased, a prominent figure in government, substantial resources he had…but all that, to be buried in a 3 by 6  grave next to an unmarked grave at the public cemetery..with a wooden cross as tomb stone. Irony. Even our beloved government spokesperson was there with his annoying shrilly voice. I think I reached another level of indignation for him when he out right talked down at me for driving in front of the funeral convey at 100 km/h…which quite honestly I didn’t..in front of all present…oooh, I know how malignant my anger is…so just apologized through clenched teeth and went away. Dush.



But nothing compared the pomp at the monthly floetry poetry and urban shing at Dass, the Ethopian restaurant at Westlands in Nairobi. Underground. That’s the genre. Had an opportunity to mingle with these gifted individuals as they did what they do best. Their lyrical and rymical lines and analogies are at there own level. You can tell they do what they do for the passion of it. Blown away I was. But the crown of the evening was chatting with this free spirited flower who had an interesting outlook on life.











Bob Marley’s music  has always been my comfort music, and my other inspiration reservoir. It takes you to that “happy place”. So yesterday I cranked it up and polished up on my reggae dance moves..no secret there…I sucked. But syk was gained, and tomorrow, all roads lead to the annual Quattro charge in Athi River, machine against nature, and nature always triumphs. The “Hammer” even got a special invite from the wonderful people of Robs’ Magic…for an opportunity to win shock absorbers. Awesome. So guys, keep it here and I’ll give you all the moments from the event. Errant photographer out.


No comments:

Post a Comment